1l whole milk
1 vanilla pod, seeds separated from pod
1 organic orange, peel
100g of caster sugar
250g of Arborio risotto rice
4 eggs , beaten
1 pinch of salt
1 orange freshly squeezed
3 tbs cane sugar
1. Pour chilled milk into a medium sized saucepan along with the vanilla pod and scraped out seeds, orange peel and half the sugar quantity.
2. Place the saucepan over low heat and slowly bring the milk to a gentle simmer, then add rice and cook until well done, which should take about 30 minutes. Set aside to cool.
3. Remove the vanilla pod and orange peel from the rice mixture and add beaten eggs with the rest of the sugar. Stir the mixture well, then transfer to a large mixing bowl.
4. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
5. Let the mixture come to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Pour the mixture into a baking tray (23 x 23cm) lined with baking paper.
6. Place in preheated oven for about 45 minutes. To check if the rice cake is perfectly cooked, insert a toothpick into the middle of the cake, if it comes out dry then the cake is ready.
7. (Recommended: when the cake has reached room temperature, place it in the fridge for at least 5 hours before cutting into portions to serve).
Pour fresh orange juice into a small saucepan along with cane sugar for few minutes to caramelize. Air dry on tray. Sift icing sugar then use patterns to garnish.